One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to go on a nice long road trip with family or friends. Whether you are at the wheel and cruising on the highway at 60 mph or just relaxing in the passenger seat while enjoying the awesome views, road trips are relaxing and fun for all (of course not if you get car sick!).
We all know that the best part of road trips is not the destination, but the journey. Even though people think road trips will be great once they start, they soon come to find themselves bored, tired, and regretting doing this in the first place! So here are a few ways you can make your road trip even better:
- Make an awesome playlist! The one thing all road trips have in common are nice energy-filled tunes. Songs that not only keep our adrenaline levels up after hours of tiring amounts of driving, but also that really set the mood of the environment. And of course songs you and your friends can all jam out to (even if you are a bad singer like me lol!).
- Pack snacks and water. The last thing you want to hear from your fellow road trip buddies is “I’m hungry”. Make sure to pack tons of healthy snacks and plenty of water for the trip. Not only will they keep your energy up but also soothe hungry passengers!
- Road trip games! Ok I take my words back. The LAST thing you want to really hear from anyone is “I’m bored”. There are so many ways you can keep people from falling asleep or buried in their phones. One of my favorites is guessing the make and model of nearby passing cars. So many cars you probably have never heard about. Another favorite is trying to spot unusual licence plates. You never know when someone is from a state all the way across the country from you or a plate that reads “ILV2EAT” lol!
- Chargers and gadgets! You do not want to end up in the middle of nowhere with no GPS and a dead phone! Make sure to pack a good GPS gadget unless you car has one and car chargers for you and your friends and family. If you are planning to drive in a very rural area or in the middle of nowhere, it would not hurt to pack a map of the area (assuming you know how to read a map haha!).
- Spare tire and car tools! A flat tire will not only delay your road trip adventure but also keep you stuck in one place for some time. It might be worthwhile to finally learn how to change a tire without having to rely on AAA or other tire changing services. It might also be handy to keep the tools to jump your car’s battery if it dies any time. Remember red is positive and black is negative!
Well that is just a few of my tips for anyone who is planning to take a road trip in the future. And if you have never done one before, no worries! You will find out yourself how much fun road trips are when you take your first one!! And of course remember to always stay safe while driving with or without other passengers. Don’t drive when tired, keep caution in hazardous conditions, and never text and drive!! And remember it’s not the destination, but the journey!!!